We recognise that a one-off grant for a small charity run by volunteers is as important as a multi-year revenue grant is for a larger charity employing many staff. We therefore have a slightly different process for the consideration of small grants which is designed to give applicants a quicker decision – usually within 3-4 weeks of applying.
The criteria for small grants (see ‘What we fund’) is exactly the same as for larger grants and the staff and Trustees go through the same process of due diligence in assessing the merits of each application. Projects requiring either capital funding (e.g. equipment) or revenue funding (e.g. running costs) are welcome to apply.
As with all applications to FCSCT it is worth phoning the Director for advice and guidance before filling in the application form. Once you have sent in your FCSCT APPLICATION FORM and accounts, the Director will be in touch often with a few questions to better understand your project and/or to arrange a visit.
Following the meeting of the Small Grants Committee, the Director will be in touch by email, letter or phone to let you know the outcome of your appeal. If successful, a cheque will usually be sent out within a week. All we ask after this is that you fill in our two-page Evaluation Form after a suitable time has passed and that you keep us informed of your progress.
Some recent examples of small grants that have been awarded are:
- volunteer expenses and running costs for a youth club in Workington
- community fun day for families from an estate in Barrow
- summer playscheme for children with disabilities from Alston
- a 12 week crime reduction initiative for young people in Heysham
- new fire alarm system for the Samaritans building in Barrow
- a leisure project for children in foster care in North Cumbria
- new cleaning equipment for a homeless shelter in Lancaster
- creative project addressing prejudice and intolerance in Carlisle
- kitchen refurbishment of a community centre in Whitehaven
- start-up costs for a new youthwork project in Maryport